Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Elisabeth Sladen, 1948-2011

It was announced on April 19th, 2011 that Elisabeth Sladen, the actress so many geeks and fans knew as Doctor Who companion Sarah Jane Smith, had passed away at the age of 63. There are no words to convey the sadness that I have for this news.

There are many stories about how Doctor Who affected its fans, and many of them discuss Elisabeth Sladen and her character Sarah Jane being their first companion. There's a beautiful story in Chicks Who Dig Time Lords about a woman and her daughter named "Elisabeth," and how Doctor Who affected their lives and how both would meet the actress years later at a convention. And then I reflect on my memories of Sarah Jane and I realize that I don't have that many.

I wasn't raised on older Doctor Who episodes, so I can't discuss my experiences of being glued to the TV as Sarah Jane encountered various interplanetary threats. I've added the older Doctor Who episodes to my Netflix queue, and they are patiently waiting to be watched. But what I can mention is this. I haven't really talked about in my interest in Doctor Who was that it was not on a whim that I had decided to watch a show about a man with a blue box. A year or two before I had watched my first official episode of Doctor Who, I remembered channel surfing and caught the last two minutes of an episode I would learn was entitled "School Reunion" from season two. I knew nothing about the characters featured--one was a younger, attractive-looking man in a suit and the other was an older, beautiful woman. It was this very scene that sparked a quiet interest.



So, albeit for two minutes, Sarah Jane Smith was the first companion I had ever seen. And without Sarah Jane's goodbye to the Doctor five years ago, I never would have met him or re-encountered her. I am very, very grateful for that.

Rest in peace, Elisabeth. No one will ever forget you.

KC
Staff Writer for Anomaly
Subscribe to Anomaly on iTunes

1 comment:

Meds said...

Very nice Kasey. Goodbye my Sarah Jane..